DATA RECOVERY HARD DRIVE/COMPUTER
Data recovery is sometimes referred to as digital evidence collection or IT forensic investigation. The saved data on a hard drive may have been damaged in an unfortunate accident, accidentally erased or deliberately deleted – often with the purpose of concealing evidence and hindering a criminal investigation.
Information and data believed to be lost on digital storage media, such as a hard drive, can often be partially or completely restored.
WATER/FIRE DAMAGED HARD DRIVES
Hard Drives that have been damaged by water or fire can also be saved. Sometimes we are only able to restore part of the lost data, and other times we manage to restore all information from your digital device. The circumstances will determine how much can be saved, and we perform a thorough analysis to get a clear picture of what can be done.
To begin the process of restoration, we need physical access to your hard drive. You can bring it to us personally, or send it by mail, and if the hard drive cannot be separated from your computer then you can submit the electronic device in its entirety.
The first thing we do is to revise your hard drive to see if there is external damage, or if the issue is internal. Damage caused by impact will usually have to be repaired first before we can move on to the next step of the process; we have access to the best resources available, and we use powerful and highly advanced forensic tools such as Celebrite and XRY, along with proprietary software used to recover lost and/or deleted data.
The process to restore information looks as follows:
- We make a digital clone – an identical copy – of the unit, and this is placed onto a chip. This allows us to work with the clone rather than with the original device.
- The chip is inserted into a machine that continues to process the information and to restore it. A hard drive is built up by ones and zeros, and these numbers are entered several thousands of times per minute into this machine, creating completely new patterns of ones and zeros. The new patterns can display information that has previously existed on the device, which is what enables us to save data that was otherwise assumed lost.
- The machine creates a digital forensic report and presents it as a PDF file or a web index.
- Some investigations are carried out manually by IT forensics, especially if the unit has water damage or if the specific case requires the use of manual techniques.
- How long the process takes depends, among other things, on whether it is an SSD drive or a regular hard drive, but in most cases – it takes about a week. If you have sent several units to us, we will try to work in parallel with all units, to get a final result for all devices as soon as possible.
What information can be recovered from a hard drive?
Virtually any type of data on the hard drive can be restored, for example:
- Multimedia files (images, audio, and video)
- PDFs, Word documents, Excel files, and other documents
- Web & Browser History
- Saved passwords
- Login information
- Chat conversations and iMessages
- WIFI network information
How far back can we go?
The information being recovered can be both new and old. However, if the disk has been formatted on one or more occasions, it becomes difficult to restore the data that was on the disk before it was formatted. That said, we are usually able to restore data from hard drives in 9 out of every 10 cases.
WHO BENEFITS FROM DATA RECOVERY?
Data recovery is a service that can be used for many purposes; it can be used by private citizens, by companies and by other organizations. An individual may want to restore pictures or documents that were once on the hard drive, or perhaps evidence of cheating or stalking? For a company, authority or organization, it may be more about obtaining information or possibly evidence of wrongdoing.
The main reasons for which the service is used:
- To restore information on defective hard drives and computers.
- To recover data that has been intentional- or unintentionally deleted.
- To perform evidence collection for companies and authorities.
- To recover other deleted and/or corrupted files.
DO YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE?
Contact us for more information. We offer a free consultation, to analyze what solutions are available for you and your particular situation.