THEFTS & SCAMS IN STORES AND RESTAURANTS
The existence of theft and scams is a major issue in a business environment, both in Sweden and abroad. Material and merchandise being stolen, as well as other types of unlawful behavior, is estimated to cost Swedish Companies somewhere around 8.1 billion SEK per year. Someone stealing is often enabled by the lack of control in the workplace, and by a company not having established functional safety procedures.
FINANCIAL LOSSES DUE TO COMPANY WORKPLACE THEFT
The most common form of theft is for goods and merchandise to disappear, and unfortunately, it often turns out to be an employee who is behind it. They may think each lifted item is so small that it will never be noticed, but it can mean tremendous losses for a company, and this is what we can help you put an end to.
Our methods are very discreet, as we realize what a sensitive situation this is, and especially if it would turn out to be a staff member. We use thorough investigative methods that won’t disturb the workplace, and everything is documented for evidence purposes, and to help you find the person responsible for your company’s financial losses.
We provide you with a clear view of what has happened, how it happened and what you can do to prevent it from happening again.
WHEN IS IT WORTH IT TO INVESTIGATE?
If the damage costs or the financial losses exceed 200,000 SEK, we recommend that you get in touch with us as soon as possible. It could be theft of funny business related to shipping, distribution or storage, and it is important to address the issue before it gets worse than what it already is.
THEFT AND SCAMS ARE COMMON IN MANY INDUSTRIES
Perhaps you are looking through the paperwork, and you realize that the numbers don’t add up. If you own a bar or a restaurant, for example, it might turn out that you’ve purchased a lot more beer than what is registered as sold, and yet all the beer is gone. The reason for this is usually theft.
Here are some examples of industries where this type of theft is frightfully common:
- Bar & restaurant – Theft in the restaurant business is a known issue. It could be that bartenders give free drinks to their friends, or even that they let them eat for free.
- Retail – Theft from shops and stores is often even harder to detect. It has gotten easier, thanks to modern digital implements and better inventory routines. However, workplace theft still occurs alarmingly often.
- Industries – Thefts from, for example, recycle stations is very common, and copper and other valuable metals are stolen every year at a value of many millions of SEK.
- Factory & Production – This is a very vulnerable industry, as large product volumes and high values makes it an appealing work situation to steal from. We have come to investigate factory thefts where the stolen merchandise has been everything from expensive nuts to car tires and electronic components.
HOW WE CAN HELP YOU AND YOUR BUSINESS
First, we will listen to your thoughts on the matter, as well as to your concerns, and then we put together a thorough analysis. This analysis serves as a base for a plan of action, where we develop a strategy for how to proceed. This may include mapping out who is in contact with who during (and off) work hours, and what individuals were present at a point of interest at a certain point in time, such as the workplace, a loading dock or a department store. Every situation has its own unique needs, and we adapt our methods to suit yours.
We use technical equipment to track the movements of a product load or of one specific product, and we can also use methods to identify those moving around in a certain area by tracking their cell phones, we can access call logs, set up hidden camera surveillance and more.
Privatdetektiv.se also performs services such as control purchases, test purchases and customer experience tests.
Read more about our Control Purchases here.
WHAT CAN MY COMPANY DO TO PREVENT THEFT?
We make suggestions for how you can improve your security checks and procedures, to lessen the risk of theft and unethical behavior. Depending on the size of your company and on what you sell, we put together a customized plan for better work transparency. This may include changes to how merchandise is unloaded or how controls should be handled, but it can also be to create access cards, and that way gets a better view of who has entered a certain area.
We also assist with employee background checks and ongoing vigilance, to prevent any future issues, and we can make preventive suggestions such as to move the staff parking lot outside the company gates, or for how to install a more controlled access system. There are many things you can do to prevent problems, and we give advice and tips for how you – as a business owner – can implement necessary changes.
- Hidden camera surveillance – We install hidden camera surveillance inside warehouses, on loading docks and in other relevant places where you might want to document suspicious activity. Hidden camera surveillance is a common method of securing evidence that can then be used to take legal action.
- Tracking of goods – We are able to install tracking devices in goods that we suspect will be of interest to a thief. This way, you will know exactly where your merchandise or goods is being transported to.
- Provoking crime – Methods that involve trying to provoke someone to commit a crime is not legal for the police to use in Sweden, but we can use these methods, and we will. We will try to lure perpetrators into committing crime in an area we are supervising, or we might go in and try to get someone to sell us material without going through the company, and without the employer’s knowledge. We can act as potential buyers of material, and we then document the course of events with a hidden camera.
- We also use other investigative methods, but we choose not to go into further detail in this text. When you contact us, the investigation will be adapted to your needs.
DO YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE?
Contact us for more information. We offer a free consultation to see what solutions are available for your particular situation.